Saturday, September 23, 2006

Derailed

I'm a sucker for yard sales. At 10:00 AM this morning, I set off with the kids heading for the "Beauty Shoppe" so they could each get haircuts, but I saw a sign that read "Huge Neighborhood Yard Sale," and I got derailed. There were three sales going on in our neighborhood, and I bought stuff from two of them. I had already promised the kids each a small toy if they cooperated at the "Beauty Shoppe," so in my mind, I was justified in buying stuff that we really didn't need...just a little earlier than planned. Also, it was a chance to look closer at my neighbors' yards and maybe even get a peek inside their houses. Oh, and to meet the neighbors, too.

But I didn't have any cash. At the first house I wrote a check. At the second house, I told them I was off to get money and I'd be back to pay for the goods. I went up to Cole Park Plaza, got $20 out, but before heading back to the neighborhood, we stopped by a monster yard sale held at a nearby church. Our blood sugar levels were getting low, so I was thrilled that the church was selling hot-dog combos.

Two hours later, twenty bucks lighter, kids' hair no shorter, my Mazda5, packed to the brim with random new stuff for the kids, pulled up in the driveway, as David just stood there and shook his head.

No comments: