Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I'm Off the Hook (Again)

I got out of 2, yes TWO traffic violation tickets today and I didn't even have to work at it. I've been known to get out of being ticketed by crying and/or flirting with the officer (male, female, gender ambiguous, you name it), but not without some concerted effort.

I was driving to the State Employees Credit Union (honest enough, right?) in Cary, and the speed limit started off at 45 mph, went down to 35 mph, and then to 25 mph in a school zone. I was driving in the school zone hours and was pulled over for clocking 41 mph in the zone.

The officer checked out my license and came back and asked me if I wear corrective lenese. "No, Sir." Then he flipped my license over and informed me that I in fact, do have an official "restriction" and that is "corrective lenses." See, I have really good eye sight but got a mild prescription back in 2002 for driving at night to better see distances and stuff. In 2004, when I renewed my license, I was wearing my glasses. I don't ever wear my glasses unless I need to see far away. I haven't been wearing them for a long time now for two reasons. 1.) because Johnny broke off one of the arms and I haven't bothered to get new frames, and 2.) because the last time I got my eyes checked, the Optometrist said I didn't HAVE to wear glasses (even driving at night) if I didn't want to.

#2 is the excuse I gave the officer for why I didn't have my glasses on.

He said he wouldn't give me a speeding ticket, but that he would give me a ticket for the license restriction thing and that I could go to the DMV with the eye doctor's note, and see if they would remove my restriction, take that to court, blah, blah, blah.

A few moments later, he came back to the window and said I would only get a warning for the retsriction, because his printer was jammed and he wasn't able to print the ticket.

Cha-CHING!

No comments: