Thursday, January 11, 2007

Had I Known How to Save a Life

There was a time in my adult life when I didn't weigh enough (even soaking wet) to donate blood. Once I hit 110 lbs., and stayed there, I've been giving blood when I could. Of course, there was the year that I was pregnant with Grace, then another year I thought I was pregnant, and then the times I was nursing. I didn't give blood all of those years. But this year I can. My committee at church sponsors a blood drive each year in our fellowship hall. We're trying to obtain at least 40 good units this time, and people can even donte two units and get their plasma back! Doesn't that sound fun? I don't weigh enough to do a double-unit donation. Women need to weigh 175 lbs. for that, and I can't remember the men's weight requirement. But I do know you do get double snacks for double donating--I'll personally make sure of that. There are legitimate reasons why people can't--and don't--donate blood. But if it's something you can do and are willing to do, and have always thought you'd do one day but one day never comes, please consider coming out in two weeks:

What: American Red Cross Blood Drive
When: Friday, January 26, 2:00-6:30 PM
Where: UUMC, the church with the big steeple on Franklin Street...the one beside Schoolkids
Why: Nothing beats human blood! Mwa ha ha ha

Let me know if you want to sign up. Thanks and hope to see you there!

No comments: