Thursday, June 01, 2006

Wall of Fame



I started a new hobby yesterday. I was in PTA Thrift Store (Chatham County) flipping through records to see if any caught my eye that my dad might like. He's gotten to the point where it's very difficult to give him gifts that he really wants or needs, but he likes records, and they're cheap, so I had a look. I pulled several for him and several for myself, either to put on CDs for my kids to listen to, or because I liked the cover. My new hobby is collecting album covers to display at home in what will be our Wall of Fame. If you catch the sales right, you can get three record-sized frames for $10 at A. C. Moore. I've already bought some and they're collecting dust in my closet. Depending on where you look, records at Thrift Stores and Fleamarkets are only about $1.00 (higher on E-Bay, of course). So, for roughly $4.00, one can create a piece of artwork for their home that looks cool, has heavy emotional and personal attachment to it, and that you can add to at your own pace. I can't wait to get my hands on my old records from the 70's and 80's to put up in my home. Three that I know are somewhere holed up in my dad's house are Abba's Greatest Hits, Free To Be You and Me, and the Soundtrack to the Muppet Movie. David's allowed to play too. I suspect he'll want to display anything from The Cure, Psychodelic Furs, or INXS. The rules I've come up with are: they have to be record covers from records we actually own or owned, or from music that we really listened to, either from our own collections, our parents' collections or our friends' collections OR if it's just too cool a cover to pass up, we can allow those too. Oh, and for $4.00 or less.

No comments: