Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How to Drop $63.00 at Durham Bulls Game and Still Not Be Sure You Had a Good Time

Ticket Total for Four Seats (Even though Grace sat in her seat for a total of 7 minutes, and 8 minutes on my lap; Johnny in his seat for two minutes and thirteen minutes of wiggling around, standing up, kicking the guy's seat in front, whining that he's hungry, thirsty, and really wants to the see "Bull"): $24

The evening's meal, consiting entirely of game food:A hot dog and small caffeine-free root beer for each of the kids, a burrito for me, and a beer for David. Two bags of Cracker Jacks for dessert. Total: $24
*note: Johnny ate half of his hot dog and none of his bun; Grace ate none of her hot dog or bun, but tipped over her root beer, sogging the bun so that no one wished to eat her wasted hot dog. Johnny threw half of his root beer away before I could stop him.

Second Beer for David: $5.00, while he enjoyed top-notch seats and a pretty good baseball game.
*note: After having been at the Ball Park for an entire hour before the game started, by the time the first pitch rolled around at 7:00 PM, Grace and Johnny had officially had enough of the "game" and lasted precisely fifteen minutes in the seats before I took them out for a little walk. The highlight for them: giving a high five to Wool E. Bull.

Two Ice-Cold, Freshly Squeezed Lemonades that I Swore I wouldn't Buy: $10.00
*note: After I took the kids to the playground area, Johnny relentlessly told me how thirsty he was. I spotted a water fountain and told him he could drink as much water as he wanted. Unfortunately, the water tasted like a lead pipe, so I couldn't half blame him for wanting something else. I was not about to buy two more small sodas for $2.25 each, when mere minutes before, Grace had spilled hers and Johnny only drank half of his. Nope, not going to do it. So, instead, I bought each of them a $5.00 lemonade. At least I could keep the cups to get some more mileage out of the money spent. The lemonades were delicious. I looked forward to topping off Grace's because I knew she wouldn't drink all of hers. Didn't have a chance, because after one sip, she dropped her cup and spilled the whole thing (and cracked the cup), so it was all a wash.

Total: $63.00

*note: A grandfather-aged man was admiring the kids. He said to me, "Are you going to keep them?" I said, "Yes, we decided we're going to keep them." He replied, "Well, they don't get any cuter, and they only get more expensive." So, there you go.

1 comment:

Dan Smith said...

That sounds like every baseball game I've ever been to w/ my kids.