Monday, March 12, 2007

I Bet He Doesn't Even Realize He Said This...

Yesterday's yoga class was taught by a substitute. I like mixing it up and seeing how people teach classes differently... female vs. male, young vs. old, talkative vs. not-so-talkative. Every instructor I've ever had emphasizes the do-what-feels-right-with-your-body; postures-shouldn't-hurt principles. Yesterday's new guy was all about telling us to "be kind to yourselves. This is a safe place. I want you to fully relax in this environment. This is not a competition...not with others in the class and not with yourself. This is not about what you 'should be able to do.'" Then he went on to talk about the divinity of all things on the Earth and the light within each of us. And how we can't spread complete love and compassion to others until we first center that complete love and compassion on ourselves. Then he was trying to remember the following quote:

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience." Ram Dass

But he kept getting it slightly wrong. He was like, "What's that saying...we are spiritual beings having a physical, no...that's not it...we are physical beings having a...wait, how does it go?"

We'd all heard it and finally someone got it right. The instructor then surprised me. He said, "Yes, that's it...'We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.' I can't believe I couldn't remember that. I'm such a REE-tard."

No comments: