Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Not Mad, Just Disappointed

David and I often get frustrated with our children even when they're not overtly acting ugly. Like when Johnny pours shredded cheese onto his plate, but 88% of it lands on the floor. Or when we say, "Grace, please try real hard not to spill your milk," but she does. And it's chocolate milk. And she's wearing a white shirt. When situations like those happen, I've been known to say, "I'm not mad, just disappointed."

Like this past Friday evening, when in a haste to make room for our Christmas tree in my car, I had to put a box of unwrapped Christmas gifts in my room, unhidden. When we got back from getting the tree, Johnny ran back to my room and told me to leave the room. I asked him why? He said that he wanted to be in there by himself for a little while. I said, "Ok, but don't look in that box, ok?" He promised he wouldn't. After a minute, I sent Grace in to see if he'd looked in the box. He didn't fess up at first, but when I pressed him, he admitted that he'd peeked in. He said it was just grown-up stuff, though, no toys. (Ha! He didn't look hard enough. There were books for him and Grace. He got to peek, and I'm still happy b/c they'll be surprised). When Johnny saw the look on my face after he admitted to doing something I'd asked him not to do, I said, "I'm not mad, just disappointed."

Yesterday I go to pick up the kids from school, and their teacher tells me with a grin and a chuckle that Johnny gave the entire playground a full-moon yesterday for who knows why. "Wait," I said, "You pulled down your pants and showed your bottom to everyone on the playground? Why did you do that?" "Because, um, some people were running one way and some were running the other way." Huh? After telling him that was absolutely not appropriate to do anywhere in public until he was at least in college, I added, "I'm not mad, just disappointed."

The fact that the Tarheels have already lost some basketball games? Not mad, just disappointed.

That Grey's Anatomy was a repeat last week? Not mad, just disappointed.

That George Bush is still in office? Not mad, just disappointed. Real disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The George Bush one? We're DISAPPOINTED AS HELL! AND WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!

KevAlex said...

I was hoping to see some video or pictures, bird.

I'm not mad...just disappointed.

ha ha ha