Friday, December 29, 2006

Bird Brain

They say things come in threes. Yesterday at Grace's OT therapy session, when I went to pay, I was embarrassed to open up an empty wallet--no credit cards, no debit cards, no check book. Then I remembered that earlier in the morning I had taken out my wallet's paper jungle to find the post-it note that had Grace's new therapy time written on it.

Then later at U-Mall, I spent a good ten minutes walking around the parking lot trying to find my car.

Finally, I ordered food for the family from Japan Express. We were tired of eating off the Christmas ham. I sat waiting for our food to be prepared while I sipped a "suicide" soda (remember those?) of mainly diet coke with a splash of sunkist and read a new book, 'The Thyroid Diet.' When the lady called out my number to tell me my order was ready, I looked up, put my book away, fished my keys out of my purse and walked confidently to the door without my food. "Um, Mam! Your food." I walked the walk of shame back to the counter to get my food, right in front of a table of guys. I had to laugh at myself. It reminded me of the Dana Carvey skit where he and his buddies order food from a drive-thru, pay for their food, then drive off without their food, laughing hysterically as if the joke's on McDonald's.

The joke is definitely not on McDonald's. I hope 2007 is a better year.

No comments: