Tuesday, November 21, 2006

November Rain

The title has nothing to do with this post, other than the fact that as I was driving home from the gym I noted that it was November and it was raining (and cold) and they've been playing a lot of Guns 'N Roses on the radio lately.

I just got back from they gym where I took this weight training class for the first time. Have you ever been a member of a co-ed gym where there was an "It" class--be it Spinning, be it Pilates, be it Step Aerobics, whatever--and you wanted to join it but felt self conscious and intimidated because you didn't feel like you were fit enough or didn't fit in enough, but always peeked in from the sidelines and heard the cool music pumping and the instructor's whooping and and wished you could be a part of the glory one day? Every gym I've ever attended, (that's two total) there's been one of those classes and it reminds me of the "cool" table in the junior high cafeteria, and I've never joined the "It" class.

Today I did. It was a small class due to the rain and the holiday, and everyone was nice enough and helped me figure out all the accessories: free weights, bars, big balls, small balls, jumpropes, ladders, ankle straps, etc. I did pretty well keeping up, but it was definitely not easy. At the end of the class, this very fit, athletic guy stood at the doorway, and the exchange that ensued went something like this:

Sherry: Hey, Buddy. Where have you been? I didn't know you were here tonight. When are you going to come take my class?
Guy: What class is it? (and he looks around the room)
Sherry: Hard Bodies. (He looks around again)
Woman in Class: Yeah, Hard Bodies with Sherry...can't you tell?

The guys looks around curiously and his gaze lands right on me and my jiggly bits (aka my stomach)

Me: Don't look at me, this is my first class.

No comments: