Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Elves, Peanuts, and Band Aids

Elves:

We watched part of the movie Elf last night, and I have to say, it was way funnier the second time around than the first. I couldn't stop laughing last night, but when I rented it two years ago and watched it on Thanksgiving Day, I was sorely disappointed. Maybe it had something to do with the post trauma of almost having to visit the ER when Johnny (15 months at the time) landed face-first on a wine glass, shattering it to pieces but somehow coming out of it completed unharmed. We can laugh about it now, but we weren't laughing too much two years ago.

Peanuts:

We switched it from Elf to A Charlie BrownChristmas that I hadn't viewed in years. Despite Grace's mutiny at having to watch the Peanuts Gang (she claimed the Charlie Brown show was "poopy"), I got a total kick out of the kids' dancing scene during the Christmas play rehearsal. If I could find a clip of that, I'd post it here. Because each child is doing a distinct dance that is cute, but, well, totally freakish. I mean, what about the kid in the yellow shirt that has his shoulders all the way up to his ears dancing back and forth, looking kind of like Frankenstein? Freak-dancers. All of them.

Band Aids:

My holiday season is never completely kicked off until I hear "Do They Know It's Christmas" from Band Aid, and Grace and I finally heard it on the way to school this morning. It's the only Christmas song that gives me goose bumps the first time I hear it each season and it remains my favorite holiday song. I guess it just always takes me back to my first school dance--7th grade, 1984--(the year the song was released), and how it came on at the end and we were all dancing around. Whenver the song comes on now, no matter where we are in the car, I make my kids sit there and listen and sing with me until the song is over. This morning I told Grace it was my favorite Christmas song and she said, "It's my favorite, too, Mommy."

No comments: