Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Blog Blahs

I stayed home from work today with what I thought might be strep but more likely is allergies...and I definitely have the blahs. I started a post on my latest health stuff (other than the strep-like allergy symptoms) but I couldn't get past the title. Too blah. There's all kinds of stuff I think I'll write about one day but never do. I've decided to do a list today of very random things. Maybe I'll expand on some of these topics later. Maybe not.

1. My hair is falling out. Really it is. It's not obvious yet but my sister pointed it out about a month ago. Ever since she did, I've noticed it too. Strands of long blonde hair are everywhere. It's really noticable when I wear dark colors or when I look at the back of my chair at work at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure it's hormonal and I'm going to the dr. on Monday to get it looked into. Honestly, I'm not that bothered by it. Maybe it will give me a chance to try some different hair styles/colors out. The celebrities all do it. My hair though, (always blonde, usually long) has been what I consider one of my best features. When I told my dad, he expressed concern but on his own (and whether he meant it or not, it made me feel better) said, "Your hair is one of your best features but your deep set eyes are your best."

2. People who haven't seen me in awhile are kind of amazed because I've lost a lot of weight. I'll check on Monday at the dr. (they'll weigh me) and see how reliable this number is, but I think I've lost about 15 pounds. I'm basically back to the "old Sarah--" the one before having kids. It's nice to hear people comment about looking great due to the weight loss but I wish I felt great.

3. I credit yoga and my change of diet to my strengthening and slendering physique. I am addicted to yoga. I love it and I try to go three times a week. I'm not disciplined to do yoga at home. I'm also not disciplined to exercise in the morning. This young woman (16, actually) had a seizure in yoga class a few weeks ago. It took us awhile to figure out what was going on b/c it presented itself more like she was sleep talking than having the type of seizure I'd expect. The same girl had another one last week.

4. School is going great. I love the program and feel good that I've found "my thing." It's a strange but wonderful feeling spending every Friday with a room full of people that are very much like yourself. In my everyday life I have many pockets of friends, co-workers, associates, family, etc. And I have admiration and stuff in common with all of these pockets but I also differ quite a bit from people in my different circles. On Fridays, though, I'm with a group of people that I've only known for nine months. They get me as well as any other group or individual I've ever gotten to know. Because they're like me. And we're talking about human relationships and social issues in ways that I don't do in other groups. Let's put it another way: many of the qualities that make me unique, define me, categorize me, etc. are qualities that most everyone in the room share. So with those similarities already established, our classroom is furtile ground for pushing the envelope, questioning our assumptions, asking questions that might offend, etc. We've had several people cry in class (including me) because breaking down the issues and talking about individual, family, group, and community relationships like we do cuts to the core of humanity. And those elements can be quite raw.

Ok, time to put my yoga pants on.

No comments: