Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Listen Up

I like it when I'm turned on to new music that I like. That happened recently. Amos Lee is an artist to check out if you like mellow, jazz-like, folk-ish, blues-twinged good songwriting. The last track on his self-titled album (2005) is a cover of a John Prine song, "The Sound of the Speed of Lonliness". Beautiful version of a really great song. My dad agreed and told me that Prine and Nanci Griffith do a good version also.

If you haven't heard, The Vacation is an LA-based fairly new rock band that Jet called their favorite new band (last Fall) who could be on the verge of hitting it big time. Personal friends of mine. Well, personal friends of a personal friend of mine, but still...I did hear them live at Local 506 in Chapel Hill (last Fall) and hung with the twins before the show. That is important to know if and when they hit it big.

And lastly, I pulled out a 1999 copy of "Summertown" by the Mayflies USA, (a Chapel Hill band who I haven't heard anything from in years...) Listening to this CD on the way to work today just made me smile...thinking about where I was and what I was doing in 1999, the fact that David and I tried to "cover" one of these songs at a music party and butchered it completely but had fun doing so, and the fact that I also have a personal friend (well, not friend, former acquaintance) in this band also.

No comments: