Friday, December 21, 2007

Silent Night? Calm and Bright?

Asheville was awesome. But I haven't had time to write about it. Wrapping up at work until I return in January, trying to finish Christmas cards, still shopping for kids. Anyone in the Triangle know where I can find a pair of Heelys in a size 13 or 1? That's my mission today...after the party at Spanish For Fun. Last night was caroling at Galloway Ridge in Fearrington with Grace's choir. The hot chocolate ran out so I promised I'd make some when we got home. I made the homemade kind with cocoa, sugar, milk, and vanilla. While that was all out, I decided I might as well bake a couple of pies. Which I did. My grandmother's famous chocolate chess and Karo's famous pecan. I tend to forget how easy some pies really are. There's only about 5 minutes of prep time and the rest is the oven's job. I think a lot of the effort in baking, and cooking in general, is just the thinking energy it takes to plan a menu, buy the ingredients and commit to the time it takes doing it, following the recipe step by step. Anyway, I have two unexpected pies in my fridge now.

Western Otto: If you're reading this, this is for you.

Booba's Chocolate Chess Pie

1 1/2 C sugar
3 T cocoa
mix sugar and cocoa
Add 1/2 stick melted butter...mix well
Add 2 eggs
Add 1 small can of Pet Milk
blend
Add 1 tsp vanilla and a
dash of salt

Bake at 350 for @ 45 min.

The trick with this is to preheat the oven and put the pie crust in first with the racks pulled out, and then pour the mixture into the crust. Otherwise if you try to carry the liquidy pie to the oven, it often makes a mess.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: