Thursday, May 17, 2007

Self-Audit 1-5

With the year more than 1/3 over, I decided to check in with myself and see how I was doing with my resolutions (1-5):

1. Learn Spanish at a level that at least matches my kids' abilities.
Grace and Johnny flat-out speak Spanish. Who would have thought that they’d be at risk of losing their Spanish-speaking ability once they started Kindergarten? But it’s true, unless we find a way to keep it up, if they don’t use it, they will lose it. Same with me. I did well in Spanish classes in HS and in college. But my real-life Spanish? Not so good. My excuse is that I’m not good at past tenses (so I just don't practice at all) and who wants to listen to someone only speaking in the present tense? Especially when answering the question, “What did you do over the weekend?”

One of my biggest regrets in college is that I didn’t study abroad. I have this idea that as part of my Social Work program, I will take advantage of overseas classes and take the whole family to a Spanish-speaking country for an extended period of time so that we can learn the language. For real.

2. Write monthly letters to Welcome, my cousin in the Peace Corps.
I’ve sent her one letter and a care package since January, and May’s not over yet, so I’m 50/50 with this one. I’ll have to stick to plain old-fashioned letters because sending some Doritos, jelly beans, a book, and a couple of magazines sets me back almost $50 a pop.

3. Get back on track writing monthly letters to Billy Ray, my pen pal on death row.

Nothing is quite as sharp as the guilt I feel at messing this one up. Over four years ago, I responded to a request at church to correspond with an inmate on death row. I agreed to write monthly letters but made it clear up front that I would not be able to commit to visits. I kept my no-visit promise, but over the last year or so, I’ve really slipped with my monthly letters. Until this year, BR didn’t miss sending me birthday or Mother’s Day cards. He thinks I turned my back on him because when he doesn’t hear from me for 3 months, it feels like a year. It takes under 5 minutes to get a letter in the mail to him. May’s not over yet. I’ll do it today. (On second thought, I'll do it when I do it. He can only make me feel guilty if I allow it).

4. Get back on track taking my vitamins and supplements and medications on time and consistently.

My health-related Catch-22: When I feel well, I make the effort to take all of my pills. When I don’t feel well, I don’t make the effort. When I don’t make the effort, I don’t feel well. I’m batting about average on this one, too. I need to step up to the plate.

5. Keep my exercise routine up: cardio 3 times a week, either running, swimming, or machines at the gym, weight training at least 2 times a week, yoga on Sundays.

Here’s where I give myself high marks. Even if it’s not yet what I’d like it to be, I’m doing a combination of running, weight training and yoga every week. Right before Easter, the weight training instructor told me I was “shrinking.” You don’t know how that made my day (although I swear up and down that her comment was based on the pair of socks I had on that day. I had on very low ankle socks...almost lower than the tops of my shoes...and I think wearing these socks makes my legs look longer and leaner and that makes me look overall about 5 pounds thinner.) Anyway, Easter and vacation came and my good eating habits went out the door. It's ok for me to have 3 bites of chocolate a day, just not 3 bags.


1 comment:

Bird Spot said...

Ok, maybe it wasn't the socks. Today, the instructor paid me another compliment, this time using the words "skinny" (not anymore, but still feels good to hear) and something about "shapely legs"