Sunday, May 13, 2007

May 13, 2007

Today has been about waking up late for church because I was up several times in the night with a feverish and vomiting child.

It's been about a church member who in a moment of forgetfulness asked me if I'd be spending time with my mother today. I tried to immediately brush it off, by going over to give her a hug because it was obvious she felt horrible for her slip up. But when she hugged me even tighter, I couldn't stop my tears.

Today has been about making a quick decision to let a brand-new girl in the Sunday School class stand up with the kids who have been practicing for months to sing in front of the congregation because I sensed it would mean a lot to the little girl (and to her mom...who thanked me later).

And about making another decision to wait until tomorrow to tell one boy's mother that her son bit another child in the Sunday School class (once I determined that the bite didn't break the skin, there was minimal crying, the two boys were playing happily minutes later, etc.) rather than to spoil today.

Today was about telling Grace that I was proud of her for singing in "big church" and for her to turn around and tell me that she was proud of me too (for my singing debut at a music party last night...which we had to leave early...because Johnny was becoming feverish...and vomited all over everything on the way home).

Today has been about giving my dad and David's mom updates on how Grace's IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) meeting went on Friday...and how I was the one, in a room with seven childhood experts, who brought to the table the idea that Grace's struggles, delays, deficiencies and behaviors are likely the results of her having an auditory processing disorder; And while it's important to put into place compensatory classroom modifications for her presenting skill levels once kindergarten starts, shouldn't our energies also be focused on figuring out a.) does she, in fact, have an APD and b.) what are the best ways to go about treating this?


Today has been about receiving a handmade card from "the kids" that says:

We love you when...you spend all day with us and you make sure our lives are filled with joy!
But we also love you when...you have low energy and you prepare watery, limp, and lifeless eggs! We love you no matter what because you are our Mommy only!

I hope my mom knew I felt the same way.

No comments: