Sunday, November 02, 2008

Quotes

You know those blank books with fancy covers? I guess they're supposed to be journals? Well I have tons of them around my house and each one is only partially filled. I found one that I got on my birthday in 1992 and all that's written in it are 8 quotes that I wanted to record around that time. I'm posting them here so I can do something else with this "blank book."

July 21, 1992:

"It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night is another thing." ~ Ernest Hemingway, "The Sun Also Rises" (This is my favorite book of all time, btw)

July 23, 1992:

"You're not going to die of a broken heart," Gemini said, "You're too smart for that."

"I don't think it has anything to do with being smart,"
Michelle said.
~Judy Blume, "Smart Women"

September 12, 1993:

"How may a man in smart
Find matter to rejoice?
How may a woeful he
art
Set forth a pleasant voice?"
~
Sir Thomas Wyatt, Marvel No More (a poem)

October 12, 1993

"Change is our friend." ~ Bill Clinton, UNC's Bicentennial Day

October 27, 1993

"Death is the mother of beauty." ~ Wallace Stevens

November 2, 1993

"All are but parts of one stupendous whole,
whose body nature is, and God the soul;"
~
Alexander Pope, "An Essay on Man"

November 7, 1993

"A better understanding of our differences permits a better understanding of our commonalities." ~Deborah L. Rhode, "Theoretical Perspectives on Sexual Differences"

November 17, 1993

"Before I know myself seek not to know me." ~ William Shakespeare, line 525, "Venus and Adonis"

No comments: