Monday, October 29, 2007

Pulling One Over on Starbucks

I've settled into a pretty regular routine of going to yoga on Sundays from 4-5 PM and then to Starbucks for a couple of hours of reading/studying. Occasionally I drink regular coffee at that hour (and later), but as I go there mainly for an optimal place to study--free of incessant kid chatter and the site of dirty dishes--I feel obligated to buy something, and that something usually includes a Grande, black, decaf. Starbucks patrons probably know that if you ask for some type of coffee drink that has to be brewed, the drink's on Starbucks. Every single time I've gone there to order a decaf coffee, they've had to brew it, and I've gotten my beverage for free. I guess the vast majority of people buying coffee at Starbucks at any hour buy regular doses of strong java. And that Starbucks is confident with their gamble that they'll save more money in the end by not regularly brewing decaf and having a few customers a week asking for it, rather than always having a fresh pot of decaf brewed and only having a few customers a week asking for it. I'm not complaining--I'll keep taking my decafs on the house.

No comments: