Monday, September 10, 2007

Good Times at the CVS

Many close to me know that I LOVE shopping at CVS. Not only is it convenient for me to shop there (there's one right up the road from me), I love their merchandise and I REALLY love their end-of-season sales. I have learned, though, that not all CVSes are created equal. A store located near a retirement community might have a larger stock of beach umbrellas than, say, a store located next to a university that might boast the largest selection of beer huggies. So what do I do during the end-of-season mark downs? I travel to all three corners of the Triangle searching for the best CVS deals I can find. I've had my mind on other things this season so when I casually walked into a Morrisville CVS today for batteries and saw the "90% Off Summer Merchandise" sign, I nearly flipped. The pickins were very slim and the only decent things I could find worth buying were 1). A Spiderman sippy cup for .29, 2.) 4 sheets of Spiderman room and window decals for .99 and 3.) a doll that resembles a "Groovy Girl" for .49. I grabbed all three, pretty happy to be getting these treats for my kids for under two bucks. They honestly don't need a thing right now after two big rounds of summer birthdays. But a mom never knows when she might just need that special new thing at just the right time.

When I got up to pay for my batteries and 90% Off Summer Merchandise, this woman with a very Jersey-sounding accent declared, "Oh, my gawd, That doll's aDORable. Where'd you find it"

"Over there, see under the 90% Off sign. But I think this was the last one."

"Oh, it's so CUTE. This little girl in my church would LOVE it."

I smile as I run my debit card through and get my gobs of coupons back that I never use b/c they're never for the items I ever need or want.

"This little girl at church? She doesn't have a doll and this doll would just make her day."

"She doesn't have any doll? Look, she can have this one."

"Oh, my GAWD, Honey, that is so sweet of you. So sweet. Are you shuuuuure? Let me pay for it."

"No really, my daughter doesn't need any more dolls. And no, don't fish out your quarters. I don't want any money."

"Thank you SO much, this is really just going to make her day."

The sale making my day. Me making this lady's day. The doll that's going to make this girl's day. All for less than half the cost of an order of biggie fries.

No comments: