Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Desperately Seeking...Susan?

On the way home today I heard the song "Into the Groove" by Madonna, and it made me think think of the dancing scene in Desperately Seeking Susan and that made me ruminate over the fact that every time someone gets my name wrong, they always get it wrong in the same way...by calling me Susan. Always. It happened this week on a piece of mail delivered to me at work. It's happened for years. Once I babysat for two girls for an entire year while their parents called me Susan. The weird thing is that the girls never corrected them. Even weirder is I didn't either.
I don't have anything wrong with the name Susan. I have a cousin named Susan whom I like very very much. I just think it's odd that it's always the name people use when they get my name wrong. They never use nicknames for Sarah, such as Sally or Sadie. Even Suri would be nice every once in awhile. But it's Susan. Always.

No comments: