Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bubblegum Ears


A little fairy must be visiting my kids in the night and jamming their ears full of bubblegum, because that's the only explanation I come up with as to why my kids hear something totally different from what I say. Cases in point:

What I say: Before we go play outside, I want you both to pick up the legos and put them all back in their box, ok?

What they hear: Before we go play outside, I want you to both to kick and throw all of the legos around the floor, and while you're at it, get your box of little cars and trucks and dump them out too.

What I say: After I dry you off (from the bath), please go get a pull-up and your pjs on, and we'll get ready to read stories.

What they hear: After I dry you off (from the bath), please go run around the house as fast as you can, naky-butt, screaming and laughing at the top of your lungs.

What I say: No, you can't jump on my bed right now, because I've just folded the clothes and I don't want them to get messed up.

What they hear: Sure, you can jump on my bed. I've just spent twenty minutes folding everyone's clean clothes, but hey, throw them off the bed, along with all of the covers, and jump away!

I'm gonna get that Bubblegum Fairy!

No comments: